Kahva of Mad Cartographer has requested a generator on academic books on Magic.
I decided to do some vaguely academic sounding verbs, then schools of magic, followed by a few extra words of title. I apologize if this is terrible but I had to dig deep for this one since it's been quite awhile since I've been part of academia.
I hope that it's useful! And to supplement the table, since it's a bit shorter than my other blogpost, here's a skeleton for Magic Research of new spells for osr systems. Lots of bits are stolen. This is for both making up new spells or acquiring existing ones.
- Cost is 500 gold per level of the spell (or silver/copper, for other standards) spent on reagents/sacrificed in holy bonfires/etc
- Success chances begins at 1-in-6
Chance of success is improved in the following ways:
- Doubling the required price improves chances by 1-in-6
- Theoretical research on magic, either through academic books on magic or through consulting knowledgeable people improves chances by 1-in-6
- Having access to or consulting with a spell similar to the desired effect improves chances by 2-in-6. Examples might be Levitation or Featherfall for flight or Dimension Door for Teleport.